Chrysler Repair/1995 Pontiac Grand Am overheating

Question
Roland my 1995 Pontiac Grand Am is continuing to overheat I have replaced the water pump and thermostat,and flushed the cooling system. At the same time I'm getting a rattling noise coming from the water pump area, which goes away when I accelerate. I want to thank you again for all the help you gave me in repairing my Chrysler Sebring.

Bill

Answer
Hi Bill,
Does the radiator fan(s) come on when the temp gauge moves toward H? If not, that would cause overheating if it didn't and that might be due to a fuse, fan relay, or temp sensor wiring.
Have you looked through the radiator fins putting a light behind it and looking in from the grille? Blockage of the air passageway could also cause overheating. Do you have a shop manual which describes the procedure for refilling the system with water. There could be air trapped in the thermostat housing which is causing the temp sensor to underestimate the temp of the coolant. Finally, check by touching the wheels after driving to verify that you don't have a dragging brake. The rattling sound is unknown to me. There might be some sort of a partial obstruction of the water flow near the pump or the thermostat housing but I don't have any experience with the various GM engines to base that upon.
You are welcome. Do let me know how this resolves. And feel free to rate/nominate me again.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston