Chrysler Repair/2.7L:electical connector on cam shaft position sensor

Hoping you can help before this situation sends me completely off the edge!!  How do I get that electrical connector apart from the camshaft position sensor on my 2002 Sebring with the 2.7 engine?  I have pushed the little red locking pin completely out of the connector, but still cannot get it off the existing position sensor.  I don't want to force anything and end up breaking it.  I cannot seem to see any release mechanism to push, pull, twist. etc...please help, my mental health is at risk!!!

Hi John
I am not personally familiar with the connector (or the red pin) but from the plug wiring section of the service manual it appears that there is located on the flat side of that connector a locking tab which is held by two "ears' to the side of the connector plug and that if you would manipulate that tab in or out it should release the hold of the electrical connector to the position sensor. So look carefully for that tab. It appears to have a short protrusion on one end of the tab which you might use to lift the tab away from the sensor socket.
The other possibility would be to remove the bolt that attaches the sensor to the front of the engine, then you remove the sensor with the connector still in position. It appears that the sensor is held in place by a bolt which when removed will allow you to remove the sensor with the connector still attached. Can you get a view of the bolt that holds the sensor? If not, you might want to remove the splash shield that separates the right wheel housing rear panel from the engine compartment which may give you a better view.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).