Chrysler Repair/'99 Breeze 2.0L erratic start, code P0403

I have 99 breeze 2.0. It had been running good and then check eng. light came on. After stopping car it would not start for several tries and then started. It had 3 codes,p0403;p1490;p1489.When code reader was hooked up rad. fans started running. cleared codes-would not start again until fans came on. Logged fan codes again. Starts everytime until I clear codes then have to keep trying until fan starts running then will start.drove good for awhile with check eng. light on but has just started quitting while driving ; but so far starts back up. any help appreciated.   Mark

Hi Mark,
I am not sure what is the relationship of the fans or their codes to the no start/quitting while driving. But I suspect the 0403 which points to the egr valve solenoid circuit may be the cause as that circuit uses the output of the autoshutdown relay and that relay output is also used by the spark coil and fuel injectors and the alternator so if that egr circuit were shorting out that source you can see how it would shutdown the engine. It is carried on dark green/orange wire from the inboard pin of the ASD socket to a splice located at the rear of the engine in the center-top where all these items split off. So check that wire from the egr solenoid to the splice and the other part of the circuit is from the solenoid to pin 40 at the pcm on a gray/yellow wire. There is something shorting intermittently.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).