Chrysler Repair/Grand Voyager LE CRD 2006: Fault codes

QUESTION: I have a Chrysler Grand voyager which keeps cutting out when I go ver 35 MPH. It will start agan after about 10 - 15 minutes but this happens again once over 35 MPH and keeps on doing so.I have replaced the crankshaft sensor but no difference.When starting the car I have to let it turn over perhaps 3 or 4 times before it starts. What is the problem please

ANSWER: Hi Martin,
Try turning the ignition switch: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see the mileage replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know that number which would be a fault code number that will tell us what is wrong.  This is a export model diesel, correct?
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

QUESTION: Many thanks Roland for your speedy reply.  I have tried your suggestion but I have tried that 5 -6 time but there is no code number comes up to replace the mileage on the odometer.  Yes it is an exported car now in Northern Ireland

Hi Martin,
In the absence of a readout on the odometer for fault codes the best approach would be to have a shop attach a code reader to the data link connector socket which is under the dash adjacent to the driver side door opening on the end of a cable. That connector is black and has 16 pins and should give direct access to the engine control module which is where the codes are stored.
Let me know what is found that way. Such a readout is the only way to economically troubleshoot an issue like this.
Please rate my answers.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).