Chrysler Repair/'00 Minvan 3.0L runs rough after timing belt change

Replaced timing belt/water pump...idled rough...drove around for a few minutes...still ran rough. Replaced cap and rotor and plug wires. Shows p0700 & p705 codes. I assume i need to replace the speed sensor? Am i correct? Any input is appreciated!!

Hi Brent,
I assume that this is the 3.0L engine. The codes you listed pertain to the automatic transmission rather than the engine. The relevant code is the 0705 which points toward a problem relating to the transmission range sensor switch circuit. But that would have nothing to do with rough idle of the engine or running rough.
Without an engine related fault code one has to consider the possibility that the timing marks are out of alignment in light of the job done to replace the timing belt. Did you verify those?
The only other item that often causes rough idle but without a code is the exhaust gas recirculation valve. The valve can get gummy around the operation of the valve stem and then it tends to stick slightly ajar which leans out the idle and low rpm mixture. So spray some WD-40 on the shaft of the valve where it enters the valve body, then mover the valve stem by means of a screwdriver tip inserted in the stem of the valve to verify that it is closing to a dead-stop by means of the internal spring action.
Keep watching for other fault codes in the under 700 series.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).