Chrysler Repair/1987 Dodge Dakota speedo went out.

Question
Hello yet again, I wouldn't bother you so much except that your advice on my Plymouth Sundance was so valuable you have become a source of last resort. This is about my 1987 Dodge Dakota 3.9L Auto, Cruise Control, 4 wheel drive. Problem may or may not be related to my brake issue. Returning home from with my brake shimmy/wobble my speedometer  died out. Thinking it was the head since I was getting a flutter every now and then I pulled it out and spun it with an out speedo cable. Speedo responded, needle swung upwars and mileage and tripmeter advanced. Next I tried the 2 speedo cables that go to cruise unit. Both spun. The line from the transmission will require removal of the skid plate to access I will try Friday- if it spins when and if I can I disconnect it will the head be the problem  even though it spun by hand? Is spinning the inside cables by hand a good test? Thanks a million Roland, you are good as gold.

Answer
Without the manual I am short of expertise. But I would believe that the speedometer head is alright. Does the disconnected cable at the speedometer head turn while you are driving? Check that out which if not would of course point to the cable being broke or the drive gear in the transmission.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston