Chrysler Repair/2.4L smokes at start up

pt sat for several months, jump started and ran for a few hours. No noise/raps or ticks. Now smokes on cold starts, but this fades away. Thinking valve guild and or locks, any suggestions?

Hi Tom
What is the "color" of the smoke? If it is white (water vapor) and assuming you have some anti-freeze in the cooling system then you would likely smell that odor if you let some of the vapor condense and then smell that. You may notice a lower than normal level of fluid in the overflow container. If that is the case, then you likely have an internal leak between the cooling system and one of the cylinder chambers, usually due to a failing cylinder head gasket or too loose cylinder head bolts.
A cooling system sealer, such as Bar's Leak may well fix the problem. If not, then you could try slightly loosening the head bolts and re-torqueing them to spec in the proper sequence. And if that doesn't fix it then the head gasket will need to be replaced.
If the smoke is black, that a problem with the fuel burn, and if it is blue that is due to oil getting into a cylinder chamber in excess.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).