Chrysler Repair/97 grand voyager tranny: 3-speed or 4-speed?

Question
QUESTION: I am going replace my solenoid pack. I have a three speed transmission I think ( P R N D 3 L ) Can I use a 4 speed solenoid pack on my vehicle.

ANSWER: Hi DJ,
The 3 speed transmission has P R N D 2 1, the 4 speed has P R N OD 3 L(where OD is 4th gear).
The 3 speed has what feels like a 4th speed because when it goes above 45 mph the torque converter clutch comes into play which removes the slippage and thus feels like and is in effect a 4th speed. The 4 speed also has a torque converter clutch but is more complexly used in several of the gears depending upon conditions.
The 3 speed in non-electronic, the 4 speed is electronic.
The 3 speed doesn't have a solenoid pack, the 4 speed does have a solenoid pack.
They are completely different transmissions and have no interchangeable parts.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: Now I am confused.  As I put before my gear shift is (P R N D 3 L)  it doesn't have OD on it.  SO, what do I have, 3 speed or 4. I know I have a solenoid pack for sure. And thank you for clarifying the parts are not interchangable.  That kind of advise is worth something.

Answer
Both the '96 and '98 manuals I have show the 4-speed shift lever having a OD (rather than just a D) but I suppose the labeling may be different in your '97 vehicle. In any case if you have a problem and a then a code readout gave a diagnosis that points to a solenoid pack problem then you have to have a 4 speed transmission. There are no diagnostic codes for the 3-speed by the way because it isn't electronic.
Perhaps a previous owner changed out the engine/trans or just the trans?
If you would be so kind as to rate me and give me a nomination for 'volunteer of the month" I would be most appreciative.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston