Chrysler Repair/'97 Sebring conv. blows fuse #5 (ASD) when inserted

QUESTION: Roland I measured the resistance on pin #46 again ,this time a little more force on the terminals to ensure connection,with the mutimeter set on 2000k ohms it toggled between 211 and 195 resistance thanks again for your patience

ANSWER: Hi Steve,
What that shows us is that the dark green/orange wire is not shorted to ground (a reading of close to 0 ohms would be a short which would blow the fuse). So that leaves only one other possibility for why the fuse blows when you plug it in, which is that the ASD relay has an internal short to ground. To check that measure the resistance between the inboard pin of the #5 fuse socket (which if labeled would be #53) and ground (measure with no fuse in the #5 socket of course), and then remove the ASD relay and repeat the measurement. Tell me the results.
Thanks for the ratings/nominations.

QUESTION: the resistance on fuse#5 is -589 the relay it stayed at 1 on all pins with ignition on.

Hi Steve,
My suggested testing was all of it to be performed with the ignition "off", and all the plugs I listed unplugged. Was that the situation?  Did you have a working fuse in the socket that didn't blow?
Then you aren't measuring resistance you are seeing the impact of voltage (I don't understand how a resistance reading can be -589 ohms). Is it indeed the case that you had a fuse in the #5 socket, and that it did not blow? If so, then that would indicate that with all the devices that draw on that fuse the fuse will not blow. But then what we have to find is which of all those unplugged devices, when plugged in does the fuse blow. You can do that either by being willing to blow another fuse when you find it (plugging them back in one at a time, or use the ohmmeter instead. If you can indeed put a fuse in the 5 socket now without it blowing, try turning the ignition it on and see if it blows. And if not, then plug in one of the devices and see if it blows when you turn the ignition "on", etc. etc.
Maybe you have an intermittent short that is blowing the fuse sometimes, but not others, even though you have changed nothing (such as an on-again/off-again short to ground or a device that intermittently shorts to ground).
I am not sure where to go from here.
PS I now see that in your immediate previous answer you said that the meter was set to "2,000K" ohms, which is actually 2,000.000 ohms. I am not clear what 195 or 211 means but it appears that the problem is not that dark green/orange wire to the PCM pin 46.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).