Chrysler Repair/'97 Sebring conv. blows fuse #5 (ASD) when inserted

Question
QUESTION: Hi Roland it's me again with the 97 sebring convertible. unplugged everything you told me too and it stills blows that # 5 fuse,by the way the relay and fuse both are hot at all times is this normal?I'm running out of options thank you for your time.

ANSWER: Hi Steve,
No, the relay should not be "hot" at all times, if you mean that it shows 12v on the outboard pin (#91) at all times. That pin is the "output" of the relay that has the dark green/orange wire attached to it which carries the voltage/current to all the items that I listed and which you have disconnected. That outboard pin #91 should be "cold" when the key is off, and hot only when you turn the key to "run" or to "start" and even then for just a few seconds UNLESS the engine is then started and runs in which case it remains "hot" so long a s the engine is running. If instead it is "hot" when the key is "off",then of course the fuse #5 would not be blowing...unless it blows immediately upon inserting the fuse which means the relay itself it internally shorted to ground, but you didn't say that is blows as soon as you insert it.  
But, the other three pins of the relay socket should indeed show 12v when you put in the fuse, but not pin #91.
The first time you turn the key to "run" then evidently the fuse blows immediately which means one of those dark green/orange wires that power each of the circuits/items I listed has a short in it. If you really have disconnected all the plugs to the items I listed (and noticed that each of those items does indeed have a dark green/orange wire) then one of the dark green/orange wires it shorted rather than any of those items.
What you should do now is measure the resistance to ground between each of the pins at All of the disconnected plugs that is carrying a dark green/orange wire to find the one that reads 0 ohms. All the good wires will read infinite ohoms (so long as you have ALL the plugs disconnected). The shorted one is why the fuse is blowing and thus needs to be examined/traced to where it is damaged and thus shorting out.
Again, I assume you have the V-6. I will be interested to know what you find.
Please to another rating and nomination of me, as a new month has started the competition for 'expert of the month'.
Roland

QUESTION: I just wanted to answer a couple of your questions. Yes it is that 2.5l v6 I should have mentioned that and the other thing is yes with key off as soon as the terminals of the fuse hits the fuse box it's toast.So yes sir it blows as soon as it's put in,that's what has me scratching my head but I will check that pin 91 on relay has no volts. Thanks for your help sincerely

ANSWER: Hi Steve.
OK, that is interesting. I made a numeric ID error: The number of the ASD relay socket that should be 'cold' until you turn the key to run is #89, and if the relay is in the socket and fuse 5 isn't blown then any dark green/orange wire will show 12V and that for just a second unless you then start the engine and it runs. Pins 91 and 97 should show 12v if the fuse isn't blown. Pin 93 should "float" at about 0V and then its resistance to ground will be 0 ohms when you turn the key to run, again if the fuse 5 isn't blown.
Now that you say that the fuse 5 blows with the key in the 'off' position and that it blows as soon as you put it in its socket, then that means one of two things: either the ASD relay itself is shorted out (so try switching in another relay, say one of the adjacent radiator fan relays) and see if that solves the problem OR then the only other reason for the fuse to blow with the key 'off' is that the dark green/orande wire from pin 89 that goes to pin 46 at the powertrain control module is shorted out. So while you have all those plugs that I listed earlier (that also have a dark green/orange wire) disconnected, try reading the resistance between pin 46 of the PCM plug and ground. Tell me what it reads.
Thanks for the info. Again, don't forget to rate and nominate me if I deserve it.
Rolan

QUESTION: At pin #46 it's reading 008-009 resistance Roland with ignition on.

Answer
Hi Steve,
It is not clear to me where the decimal point of that reading is:
What is the "scale" setting of your resistance meter?
What is the reading if you just touch to two leads of the volt-ohm meter together. If it reads virtually the same (009 or so) then that wire from fuse 5 (that goes to a splice inside the power box and then to pins 91 and 97 of the relay socket as well as to the pin 46 of the pcm plug) is indeed shorted to ground which is why the fuse is blowing. Just to be sure don't have key 'on' and also remove the ASD relay and verify that it is still reading 009.
Tell me what you find.
Thanks for the rating and kind remarks about me.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston