Chrysler Repair/Amp wiring

QUESTION: I had an amplifier/subwoofer installed in my Town & Country but the speaker blew out. I want to install a new Dual ALB10 10" Subwoofer with Ported Enclosure, 300W with built-in amplifier. The cables are ready but I can't seem to find the ground cable for the back of the amp. There is a much thinner gray cable bundled up with the two big speaker cables (one orange and one black). Is that the ground cable? Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Mark,
You didn't tell me the year or the feature "level" of radio that is installed in the minivan.
Please do so. Generally, the ground wire(s) will be in the plug(s) and they will be overall black in color with a stripe of various colors. So look for such black wires at the radio plugs. I doubt any of wires in your photo would be ground wires. There is not likely to be a ground wire associated with any speaker connection.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

QUESTION: It's an aftermarket JVC KD-HDR44 radio. Could the small gray wire be the "rem turn-on wire? I am enclosing the diagram on the amp box (I haven't opened it yet). Thanks

Hi Mark,
I am not expert in audio system installation. I would believe that a ground location for the back of the amp would be acceptable if it were a shiny metal surface of the chassis. Probably there is nearby to the amp an already existing ground point for other parts of the vehicles electrical system so that would be the place to ground the new amp.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).