Chrysler Repair/P1391 code

Question
2002 Jeep Liberty Renegade
2002 Jeep Liberty Rene  
2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L.  

Was driving home and whenever the Jeep came to a shift point it would shudder and chug until I was past that shift point. Drove home slowly and began to notice a slight clacking noise coming from engine. Ran a code reader on the Jeep and it read p1391 lost crankshaft signal. The next day I took it to a local mechanic and they located noise is coming from valve cover just above the sensor. Could this mean something really bad? Like broken parts? Or will the sensor not reporting properly cause engine to run rough? Just had the engine replaced 9 months ago. :(

Answer
1391 is interment loss of cam or crank sensors.
The sensors dont make noise  they dont move.

As for the noise  i cant say what it is   but that cam sensor in the valve cover area has a chain and guides and such that move.   Was this a new or used engine  and do u have a warranty on it?

Chrysler Repair

Kevin