Chrysler Repair/2010 chrysler t&c. Cabin noise

Hi  I recently bought a used 2010 chrysler t&c 4.0 liter w/ 50k.  It seems like the transmission noise is unusually loud. Is this a common issue or should I be worried?

Hi Kathy,
I would not have the information about the noise level to be expected in your 2010. My thoughts are first whether the fluid level in the transmission might be below normal. If you have the 4 speed transmission there is a dipstick for the transmission located on the transmission proper (driver's side far end of the engine/transmission unit. If you have the 6 speed transmission it has a sealed opening and stick which is better checked at a dealership for fluid level.
The other possibility is that there is a diagnostic trouble code that relates to the transmission. You may be able to get a free fault code readout at a nationwide autoparts store such as Autozone, so ask if you have that or similar parts store. Otherwise a shop will do a code readout for around %40. Ask for the fault code numbers, if any that appear. These are 4-digit in length and also have a letter prefix or suffix so get the complete number and then let me know.
If you have a trusted mechanic ask him to drive the van and see whether he can identify the source of any suspicious sounds.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).