Chrysler Repair/instrument cluster wiring harness contact grease?

Question
1999 Dodge Caravan 3.3l

Today I took our the instrument cluster to check for any bad solder for my recurring problem of stalling (there are many blogs, which talk about this issue in 1996-2000 models. I re-solder one ground pin on the connector, not sure if this will fix my problem. However, I found some sort of pasty material on the connector terminals, looks like brown grease but I not sure. I want to ask if any such thing is used to protect the electrical connection or to make good connection etc? If not, then I will clean it up really good.
Thanks for your help.

Answer
I am not aware of any grease that would be used to protect or improve connections in the body wiring (other than at the battery terminals where there is the presence of acidic battery vapor. So I would be inclined to remove it.
Please delay rating/nomination of my answer until after September 30 when it will count again.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston