Chrysler Repair/Intermittent misfire on '99 Concorde 2.7, code 0340

Question
Problem started about 2 weeks ago.  Vehicle is a 1999 Concorde 2.7 engine.  Starts and runs fine at idle and low RPM's.  Periodically when accelerating, the car shudders and misfires like it is going to die, but doesn't.  Check engine light on.  Checked codes and got P0340 and P1391.  I can jump in the car an hour later and drive normally and never replicate the misfire, then the next time I drive it, I have to keep the RPMs under 2500 just to keep it from misfiring.  It has never died when presenting this problem and never not started.  Very frustrating.

Answer
Hi Jack,
Those two codes taken together suggest that the camshaft position sensor is beginning to fail when it is warming up. It is located on the front of the engine, to the left of center, on the timing chain case cover. It is positioned to observe the location of the camshaft sprocket on that side of the engine. It has a plug with three wires (tan/yellow, orange, black/light blue) and is held in place by one screw. Remove the plug (lift tab) then remove the screw, and pull it out. Then insert a new sensor to the point where you feel it touch the surface of the cover. Then insert screw and tighten to 9 foot-pounds of torque.
Just in case, also inspect the condition of the plug's wire harness to be certain of no damage which might mimic a failing sensor.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston