Chrysler Repair/intermittent shutdown problem: 3.3L '99

Question
QUESTION: I have cleaned the throttle plate (by removing the rubber air hose only) but did not take out the idle air control valve etc.

Can you please give some directions/precautions on cleaning the idle air passageway and idle air control valve/motor? Can this valve be cleaned?

ANSWER: The control has 2 screws which when you remove will allow you to pull the control out of the side of the throttle body. Clean the pintel and the passageway into which it fits. The pintel should not be extended to a length greater than 25 mm or won't be able to get it back in the hole all the way. Be sure the 0-ring on the control is not damaged when you remove it, and be sure you put the O-ring in place carefully so it is air tight.

QUESTION: So, it means there is no need to take out the throttle body. I just need to take out the idle control and clean it. Am I right?

The other thing, what should I use to clean it? Carb/Throttle body cleaner or an electric contact cleaner.

Thanks

ANSWER: Correct, just remove the controller 'body' from the throttle body. Use a grease solvent for cleaning the throttle body and this air passageway and pintel passageway.

QUESTION: Is this grease solvent different than carb/throttle cleaner?

The other question: While going over Haynes manual today, I noted that the pintel should not be extended more than an inch (just as you mentioned). And if it is extended more than an inch, then OBDII tool is needed to push it back; now this (availability of OBD II tool) will not be possible for me! Is there a particular way (that I shut down the engine) to ensure that the pintel is extended less than 1 inch.
Thanks.

Answer
Hi Shafique,
Carb/throttle body cleaner will do the job.
I suspect that the judicious application of voltages to the windings of the idle control will move the pintle back if necessary, but I can't give you a specific direction for that. I assume you will find it to be less than an inch when you remove it, assuming that you disconnected the plug for it before removing it.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston