Chrysler Repair/'04 Sebring Convt. Trans leak

I have an 04 Sebring that has been leaking transmission fluid.  A shop that I was told I could trust (new to the area) replaced the filter but it still leaks.  I took it back and they said it looked like to them the fluid was leaking from the middle of the solenoid pack.  They said they could replace the whole pack, but recommended taking it to a transmission shop for a second opinion.  Two questions:

If the solenoid pack is leaking does that mean it will eventually stop working correctly or completely?

If I keep watch on the fluid level and just let it leak is there any danger in damaging the transmission?

Thank you for your help.

Hi Scott,
If the leak is merely around a gasket then so long as you maintain the fluid level I see no reason for the pack to not function. I don't see any danger to the transmission either.
The pack has a gasket between its bottom surface and the transmission body and there could be a leak at that gasket. To possibly cure that simply tighten the three long bolt heads on the top side (rear edge) of the pack which secure it to the transmission's body to a torque of 9 foot-pounds. Also check the small screws on the front panel of the pack to be sure they are all secure. That tightening may slow or stop the leak. You could also try replacing the gasket if that doesn't stop the leak.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).