Chrysler Repair/'04 Sebring Convt. Trans leak

Question
Hello,
I have an 04 Sebring that has been leaking transmission fluid.  A shop that I was told I could trust (new to the area) replaced the filter but it still leaks.  I took it back and they said it looked like to them the fluid was leaking from the middle of the solenoid pack.  They said they could replace the whole pack, but recommended taking it to a transmission shop for a second opinion.  Two questions:

If the solenoid pack is leaking does that mean it will eventually stop working correctly or completely?

If I keep watch on the fluid level and just let it leak is there any danger in damaging the transmission?

Thank you for your help.

Scott

Answer
Hi Scott,
If the leak is merely around a gasket then so long as you maintain the fluid level I see no reason for the pack to not function. I don't see any danger to the transmission either.
The pack has a gasket between its bottom surface and the transmission body and there could be a leak at that gasket. To possibly cure that simply tighten the three long bolt heads on the top side (rear edge) of the pack which secure it to the transmission's body to a torque of 9 foot-pounds. Also check the small screws on the front panel of the pack to be sure they are all secure. That tightening may slow or stop the leak. You could also try replacing the gasket if that doesn't stop the leak.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston