Chrysler Repair/'96-99 Minivan: HVAC calibration/cool down

QUESTION: Hi Roland,
For a price could I get a copy of the heater & air cond. diagram from you---- I need information on my 1999 Voyager (2.4) liter heater system.
Would LOVE to be able to check it out without throwing $$$ at it & not knowing what works.
 Waiting to hear from you---- you sound like you know what you're talking about!!
         Thanx, JP

I have the '98 manual for the minivans. There are 49 pages of text about the HVAC system and 8 pages of wiring diagrams. I would need to photocopy and postal mail copies to you. If you can tell me what pages you need I can do that for 10 cents a copy plus the postage. You can mail me back postal stamps to cover my cost after you get the pages.
Perhaps if you describe what the problem is I can give you some directions without having to delay until you receive the needed pages.

QUESTION: Hi Roland,
Already gave you a good write up!!
My 1999 Plymouth Voyager with a 4 cylinder has the following heater problem------ If we turn down the temp. slide switch for the night while delivering newspapers & then try to push it ALL the way for maximum heat it usually won't increase the heat-- so I'll play with the slide, back & forth a few times & then we get the maximum heat temperature.
We think it could possibly be the temp. control unit for the door--WOULD YOU agree with this & if so how much trouble is it to replace?
How much of your information (paper work & drawings) do you we need?
         Thanx,  JP

Hi JP,
Before we do any copying, try a calibration of the various door actuators and a diagnostic test for what might be wrong:
The engine should be running and warmed up. Set the blower on high. Set the air distribution knob to the 'panel' position (the full counter-clockwise choice), open all the A/C air outlets,
set the temp slide(s) to full cold. Then depress the window wash and the rear wiper buttons simultaneously and hold for 5 seconds (until all LED's light up).
The calibration and test takes about 2 minutes.
Here is what will happen: the LED's will light for 5 seconds
The calibration is running when rear wiper and intermittent are alternately flashing
The AC cooldown test is running when AC and recirculation lights are alternately flashing
The best result when it is over is that the  rear wiper only is flashing. Press rear wiper to exit the test/calibration.
Let me know what happens at the end.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).