Chrysler Repair/2005 Chrysler town and country 3.8l

QUESTION: Hey, I was wondering if you might know what all year engines will interchange with an 05 Chrysler town and country with a 3.8k v6

ANSWER: Hi Robert,
I would believe that the 3.3L engine would directly interchange, but you would do well to get the powertrain control module from the vehicle that donates the 3.3L. The 2.4L I believe used a different automatic transmission, 40TE, while the 3.3/3.8L used the 41TE. The minivan also could be bought with a 2.5/2.8L diesel but there would be major changes required.

QUESTION: So if I got a 05 Chrysler town and country 3.3l, it would interchange. And I would have to get the power control module, are you meaning rge computer? And would I have to change wire harnesses for some of the sensors or are they the same on the 3.3l and 3.8l?

Yes, they should interchange mechanically. The powertrain control module would likely be different because the displacement of the cylinders would be less so less fuel would be injected and that is controlled by the pcm. But you could compare the model numbers of the pcm in the donor vehicle with that of your vehicle and see if they might be the same part number. Or check at a dealer parts counter to see what the parts catalogue shows. The wiring is identical. If you do change out the pcm then you would want to reprogram it for the VIN number and also update it to work properly with the vehicle security system. That is done with a Chrysler DRB=III or equivalent diagnostic readout box at a shop/dealer. The steps are described in the body manual. If you could use the original pcm that wouldn't be necessary, but again the fuel injection amount would be needing adjustment, and that could possibly be adjusted with the DRB-III but I am not certain of that.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).