Chrysler Repair/2006 Chrys T&C clicking relay and won't start

2006 T&C - the Park Lamp relay in the power distribution center beside the battery is constantly clicking even with no keys in the ignition.  Tried switching relay (rect. black fuse) from another slot and it still clicks in the Park Lamp slot so it would seem to be the "slot" rather than the relay (fuse) itself.  Van will not make an attempt to crank.  Out of town and stranded! Please help!!  Have unhooked the battery for 20 minutes or so to see if computer {?} would reset.  hooked battery back up and rapid clicking resumed.  This time both the EATXSafety Shutdown relay and the Park Lamp relay were clicking.  after a while the Safety Shutdown quit clicking but park Lamp relay still clicks rapidly.

Hi Phillip,
Relay will click like that when it is told to 'close' but the voltage supplying the coil which actually closes it is too low. Either your battery is discharged to too low a voltage or their could be some sort of a short circuit which is dragging it down.
Can you get a 'jump' start from a vehicle with a good battery and is running when you try to start it? When hooked up to the jump the clicking should stop, and then ideally when you try the starter it will start. Driving it on the highway should recharge the battery enough to get home.
Might the headlamp switch be in the 'park lamp' position? If not, then the low voltage of the battery may be being 'mis-read' as if you have the switch in park instead of off.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).