Chrysler Repair/2007 town and country: fault codes

Question
QUESTION: Every 2000 miles the van speedometer freeses up. It won't let me go above 40mph. I've taken it in several times to have it reset. Chrysler mechanics told me it's a silinoid or engine sensor. They won't tell me how to reset the oil pressure myself. Can you tell me why it's acting this way? How do I reset it myself. I'm self employed money is very tight. Please help.

ANSWER: Hi Joan,
The best thing to do is get a "fault code readout" which tells you 4-digit numbers that are a good clue as to what is wrong. Some nationwide autoparts stores do that for free (e.g. Autozone) or an independent shop will do it for $40. Did Chrysler ever tell you any numbers?
If not then get a free or cheaper readout than from Chrysler shop.
You might be able to get the codes using the ignition switch. Turn it "on-off-on-off-on and leave it on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window in the speedometer to see if the mileage reading disappears and there are any 4 digit number in its place.
Let me know and we'll go from there.
Roland

Follow up: Do you happen to know the code #? Did you try the key on-off approach to get the codes? I don't understand what is the significance of 2000 miles 'coming up'?

QUESTION: I tried the on-off for a half hour. I got Dash's no numbers.this is so frustrating.

Answer
Hi Joan,
I wrote "might" be able to get the codes that way, so I am sorry that it didn't work.  I think now that by '07 that approach was no longer available. So you would want to call an Autozone and see if they do the readout for free or not, and if not then go to an independent shop to get a readout of the fault codes using a plug-in code reader for about $40. Get all the 4-digit code numbers they find, and names, and ask what they would do and for how much. Then let me know the story and we'll go from there.
Roland
PS: Look over the receipts for services that you paid for at Chrysler and see if they show any code readout being done that you paid for, and if so then the codes should be on the receipt. If you paid but no codes are listed, then you could go back and ask them to do the readout for free and give you the numbers.
Otherwise try Autozone or an independent repair shop.
Having the code numbers is the only way to get a handle on what is wrong and what to do.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston