Chrysler Repair/94 dodge shadow 2.2auto. a/c belt noise

My car has 178k., a ride to work car and I had not had to replace the water pump or alt.  It began to have what sounded as a belt squeak or a ruff sound in a bearing.  I replaced both alt. and water pump, the pump pulley and belt.  Still have that annoying squeak.  I've tried adjusting the offset bushing,in the alt., tension, only to have minor or temp. success. The alt. came with the pulley mounted.  Please help as I don,t have much hair left.

Hi Barry,
The first thing to do is check for the alignment of all the pulleys that are belt-driven.
Using a long straight edge verify whether the pulleys driven by each belt are in the same plane and also whether each of the pulleys is parallel to the common plane. Also, use an rubber hose as an 'ear horn' to try and locate exactly where the sound is coming from. Either  a device is out of alignment or the bearing of a device is worn. The alignment or a hearing-focused approach may reveal the cause of the problem.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).