Chrysler Repair/'96 Breeze/Stratus/Cirrus:rear defroster activation button

My 1996 Plymouth Breeze 4cyl rear defroster button will not light up and my rear defroster will not turn on... the defroster is working but cannot be activated.  Any ideas?  tnx

Hi wsam1,
There are 4 fuses in this circuit:
fuse 6 (10 amp) and fuse 15 (10 amp) in the fuse box behind the end cap of the dash, and fuse 8 (20amp) and fuse 12 (40 amp) in the box in the engine compartment. Look carefully for a cracked wire in the fuses or verify with a volt-ohm meter.
In the dash box there are also 3 relays, one of which is for the rear window and is labeled EBL. Try substituting one of the other relays for it to see if that corrects the problem. Otherwise, let me know.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).