Chrysler Repair/'96 Cirrus/Status/Breeze rear window defrost

Does the defroster button on the heater controller stay depressed when depressed like the A/C button or does it just  light up and start the timer... my mechanic says it stays depressed.  ADDENDUM... I'll get back to you on the "I Agree" for both questions tomorrow after I show this to my mechanic.  tnx

No, the button is simply either pressed or not pressed (no locked in position "on") as best I can read the diagram and text explanation. The fact that you pressed and released the button is sensed by the body control module which then activates the relay that turns on the power to the rear window grid which runs for 10 minutes/subsequent 5 minute increments/or until you press the button again which is sensed again by the module and which then opens the relay and turns off the power to the grid. The fuses and the relay are the first things to check. There is a more detailed instruction which I would have to photocopy and mail to you if needed.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).