Chrysler Repair/'96 Cirrus/Status/Breeze rear window defrost

Question
Does the defroster button on the heater controller stay depressed when depressed like the A/C button or does it just  light up and start the timer... my mechanic says it stays depressed.  ADDENDUM... I'll get back to you on the "I Agree" for both questions tomorrow after I show this to my mechanic.  tnx

Answer
No, the button is simply either pressed or not pressed (no locked in position "on") as best I can read the diagram and text explanation. The fact that you pressed and released the button is sensed by the body control module which then activates the relay that turns on the power to the rear window grid which runs for 10 minutes/subsequent 5 minute increments/or until you press the button again which is sensed again by the module and which then opens the relay and turns off the power to the grid. The fuses and the relay are the first things to check. There is a more detailed instruction which I would have to photocopy and mail to you if needed.
Roland  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston