Chrysler Repair/brakes overheat, car won't start

Question
We drove car 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan w/ emergency brake on (unknowingly)and smelled brakes, rereleased e brake. Next AM car won't start, just clicks as if starter is bad. Battery good, cleaned battery terminals.No dashlights to indicate a problem.Is there a safety process built into system to prevent car from starting?
Thank you so much,
Paul

Answer
Hi Paul,
The loud click coming from the starter motor solenoid switch is not related to any anti-theft or safety system. It means either that the voltage to the motor is too low or that the motor is wearing out at the armature. I would only be sure of the battery by means of a voltage measurement or by trying a jump of it with jumper cables.
The fat red wire from the + post of the battery to the starter might be loose at the place where it attaches to the solenoid switch, but check that only after disconnecting the - post clamp at the battery.
You could tap on the side of the starter motor while a helper tries the start position at the ignition switch and that might cause the starter to reconnect at the armature so you can get it running again.
So I would do those several checks/measurements to ascertain if it is the battery, starter motor, or wiring before buying something. I don't see any relationship of this to the e-brake.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston