Chrysler Repair/Sebring '08: revs by itself

Question
QUESTION: I have 2 questions. 1. I was at a stop sign my foot was on the brake and my car felt like it wanted to go, the rmp's went up and the car tried to go. 2. While car is in park the rpm's went up then went backdown.

ANSWER: Hi Justina,
The best way to get an idea of the cause would be to get a readout of fault codes that may be stored in the engine controller. It can detect problems, give them a 4-digit code number, and store them in its memory. You may be able to get the codes with the ignition switch. Turn it "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window in the cluster to see if mileage reading changes to show any 4-digit numbers preceded by a P. If so, send me a follow-up question and we'll go from there. Otherwise, get a free code readout at a nationwide auto parts store, such as Autozone, or go to an independent repair shop who will charge around $40 for the readout. Let me know what they find, what they recommend, and then write back for further discussion.
Roland

QUESTION: I couldn't get any numbers to show up. When you said turn it off and on did you mean actually starting the car and then shutting it off? Or just turn the key to the on position and then back off?

Answer
Hi Justina,
I meant only turning to the key position where it would be if the engine is already running (thus "on"), but not moving the key to the starter position for the engine, for doing the code readout procedure. It may well be that by '08 and later this is no longer offered, but give it one more try, and do it quickly enough that it takes 5 seconds or less, and the key is still in the "on" position at that point. Shortly thereafter if it works, the mileage reading should change to show any 4 digits numbers, or if there are no fault codes in the memory it will probably show "done".
If it doesn't do any of that then you will need to get a readout for possible codes at a repair shop or possibly for free at an Autozone or other nationwide auto parts store.
Do let me know if you get such codes.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston