Chrysler Repair/'00 mini-van: no starter.

QUESTION: Had computer repaired ran fine for a month. Wouldnt start; took to neighborhood garage, couldnt find problem. Took computer out myself and back to repair shop and repaired again.  Started but wont stay running.  Took computer back, repaired for other issues, wont start as in engaging starter.  Put new ignition switch on per advice.  No luck.  2000 grand voyager.

ANSWER: Hi Steve,
I'm working with the '98 manual which I believe applies to your '00.
There are two fuses involved with the starter motor relay: fuse 10 (10 amp) in the box under the dash is what actuates the relay coil (should make it click when tried) and fuse 23 in the power distribution box (40 amp) provides the current through the relay to the starter solenoid switch. So check the fuses and listen/touch the starter relay in the box under the hood when a helper tries the "start". The shifter needs to be centered on P or N of course, but try it off-center too. Let me know what clicks if anything. Is the battery charged enough?

QUESTION: Number 10 fuse ok. Lost lid to box under hood and but think I know which relay is starter as I tested it and got power from switch but relay would not ground so relay would not work. Suspect something keeping relays from grounding.   Have another issue in that when I hook up battery I hear relays energizing when switch off therefore running battery down. Getting complicated

ANSWER: The starter relay will click when the actuation coil is grounded, and for that the gear shift must be either P or N. I wonder if your battery may be weak. The starter relay is the 6th counting from the rear of the box. Pull out the relay, then use a wire to jump from the rear pin of the socket (which has 12v directly from the battery) to the front pin of the socket which goes to the starter solenoid switch and that should click and simultaneously the starter motor should engage and crank the engine. Let me know if you hear the click, and does the starter motor engage and crank over the engine?
There should be no relays clicking when you turn off the ignition switch unless the battery is too weak to keep one of them engaged, but even then there should be few or no relays engaged with the ignition shut off.
Please 'rate' my answer, and consider giving a 'yes' where you see the question about a nomination of me to be 'volunteer of the month'. Thanks

QUESTION: Starter engages when doing what you said. I have a good charger and battery is charged.

Maybe you have a blown fuse in the starter circuit:
Check fuse 23 (40 amp) in the main power box, and fuse 10 (10 amp)in the fuse box under the dash. Those fuses provide power to the ignition switch and from there to the starter relay and both must be good and the ignition switch must by wired in good and the trans has to be in P or N. So check all that out and if it all good the starter motor should similarly engage as you found it to be via jumping across the pins of the starter relay socket.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).