Chrysler Repair/'06 300, 2.7 liter: replacing starter motor

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300, 2.7 liter. This morning when we tried to start the engine all we got was a clicking noise coming from the starter. I am assuming it is the starter. What is the easiest way to replace it? Any tricks to access the three bolts? I have my car jacked up at this point with one of the bolts out but the other two are becoming problematic.

Hi Roland,

I seen you answered jeffs question last year well im having the same issue. I dont want to get under the car and not be able to complete because of something im not aware of. Can you please help.

Do try a jump start from a known good battery as that could also the cause.
As to removal, the main thing to know is that you want to have the steering set straight ahead and ideally immobilized. Then you have to remove a bolt in the steering intermediate shaft and separate the shaft from the extension in order to get the starter through that space that is created. There are a few other suggestions covered in the 14 step procedure which I can copy from the manual and attach to an email I would send to you directly. But I need to know your email address. If you tell me that don't use the @ symbol but instead use "at" or the address will be erased automatically.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).