Chrysler Repair/2001 PT Cruiser Bendix not engaging flywheel

Question
Roland,
I am working on a friends 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser it died on them on the highway yesterday they got it towed home in and had a p0340 code for a bad camshaft position sensor I replace the camshaft position sensor and when trying to start the car the starter runs but it does not engage the flywheel what does just be a bad starter or is there something else that could be causing the Bendix to not engage.  There are no current codes.

Answer
Hi Frank,
There could be tooth degraded on the flywheel or on the bendix, or possibly the starter is loose as to its mounting. So inspect the flywheel when you remove the starter. If this is a manual shift you could put it in gear and move the vehicle so a different tooth is drawn up. Then try the starter. Or if it is an automatic, try rotating the crankshaft pulley bolt a bit to bring a new area of the flywheel into position.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston