Chrysler Repair/2001 PT Cruiser Bendix not engaging flywheel

I am working on a friends 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser it died on them on the highway yesterday they got it towed home in and had a p0340 code for a bad camshaft position sensor I replace the camshaft position sensor and when trying to start the car the starter runs but it does not engage the flywheel what does just be a bad starter or is there something else that could be causing the Bendix to not engage.  There are no current codes.

Hi Frank,
There could be tooth degraded on the flywheel or on the bendix, or possibly the starter is loose as to its mounting. So inspect the flywheel when you remove the starter. If this is a manual shift you could put it in gear and move the vehicle so a different tooth is drawn up. Then try the starter. Or if it is an automatic, try rotating the crankshaft pulley bolt a bit to bring a new area of the flywheel into position.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).