Chrysler Repair/2001 Pt Cruiser limp mode

I have a 2001 Pt Cruiser that went into limp mode(error code 0601)and will not shift from 2nd gear after we changed the battery. We had the ECM reprogrammed and the code disappeared but it is still in limp mode and will not shift to third gear. The input/out sensors have also been replaced. If I replace the EMC would that solve the problem?

Hi Judith,
There are two control modules in the vehicle:
The ECM (also known as the PCM) which is for the engine function
The TCM (for the transmission function).
The limp mode is of course related to the transmission so I would not believe that the 0601 code has anything to do with limp mode because it is said to be an internal problem with the ECM/PCM.
If the 0601 code is no longer present then there is no reason to replace the ECM.
The best thing to do is get a fresh fault code readout with a plug-in code reader to get a code about the transmission problem that is causing limp in. Once we have that code we'll know what to try.
The Code number should be in the range of 0700's or 1700's.
A nationwide auto parts store will often do a readout for free (e.g. Autozone) or an independent shop should charge no more than $40. So don't replace either controller yet.
Ask for the number and what they think it means. We'll then compare notes.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).