Chrysler Repair/Nitro '07: starter motor doesn't disengage

Truck keeps cranking when started have to turn off and start again especially when i drive for long distance and shut off
Runs perfectly when running no service engine lights are on please please help

Hi Aaron,
Sorry for the delay in responding but I just found your question in the "pool" to which Kevin had referred it.
If I understand correctly, your starter motor is not disengaging when the engine starts so you have to turn off the engine, correct?
The problem could be one of several items in the starter motor circuit:
The ignition switch section that powers the starter motor might not release when you back off the key from the start to the run position
The starter motor relay could stick in the closed position
The starter motor solenoid switch could stick in the closed position
The starter motor drive unit might not decouple from the gear that it drives
The starter motor might be loose in its mounting so that the gear doesn't disengage from the gear on the crankshaft disc so check for the starter motor's mounting bolts that hold it in place.
I have the Nitro service manual and can tell you about the wiring of the starter motor circuit so you could check out whether any of those parts is the cause of this.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).