Chrysler Repair/trouble start 99 chrysler sebring lxi

Question
Hi Roland,

I today went across town I went to CVS drug store I came out of store the car would not start. I turn the key all I hear is a click I tried it felt like battery dead. There was a quick lube place next door I went in they checked the battery on car said it was ok(it almost 2yr old). Tried to start the car 6 turns on the key just a click the power windows still work. The quick lube guy said the Starter was bad & called a tow truck it be 1/2 to 2 hour wait.

A few minutes later I tried to start the car & this time there was no click it instead it was turning to start I tried it 3 times the car started I couldn't believe I was happy. My prepaid cell phone did not work so I cancelled the tow truck at a cell phone place nearby since cvs store said they got busy signal. I left the car running the whole time. I did stop at a autozone on the way home seen employee in the parking lot they said could not check starter without turning off the car. I was not having good luck today so I did not want to chance turning off the car late in evening.

I wrote you before roland you said EGR valve take wd40 spray wiggle the part I found the part but could never seem to be able to do the wd40 since did not know what I was doing.

This time with the click at CVS seemed like a different problem the quick lube guy said it was the starter broke. If it was the starter bad how did the car start?  

How do I know if starter bad should I go back to Autozone during day tomorrow if I the car starts? Roland from what described does this sound like a starter problem? Please let me know what you think.

Thank You,

Michael

Answer
Hi Michael,
I assume this was a loud click from the starter motor's solenoid switch, not a very soft click that comes from the starter motor relay inside the power box under the hood. Let me know if otherwise.
The loud click means that there is either a weak battery, or a poorly connected battery cable at the starter motor proper, or a weak starter motor proper. I would disconnect the negative terminal clamp of the battery (located 'remotely' on the left strut tower) and then check the plus terminal clamp and battery post for a good tight connection and then check the fat red wire at the starter motor to be sure it is tight. Ideally the battery voltage should be 12.4 or higher but if you don't have a meter that is not possible. After you reconnect the minus clamp to the battery see if it starts or just get the loud click. If a loud click but not action, then turn on the headlights and try to start it. If the lights dim down a lot that would suggest the battery is weak. If they don't dim down, then that suggests the starter motor is marginal/weak.
Roland  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston