Chrysler Repair/92 Lebaron Alternator

My 92 Lebaron convertible quit with on my son 500mi. from home.  After getting it home I charged battery and cranked car.  At the battery with engine running I measured only 11.7 volts.  My thinking is I should be getting 14 plus volts here? The battery terminal connections are clean and tight.  Seems as though I have an alternator problem.  Do you know what the amp rating of the alternator is, 90amp,120amp etc.?  Got the car from my brother who bought it new.  The alternator has never been replaced or repaired. As the car has AC, PS, PB etc.,if I have to replace it, should it have a 90amp. alternator, could I use a 120amp. alternator?  Also where can I get an electrical schematic for this car? I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.

Hi Bill,
The alternator is either 90 or 100 depending upon the brand (model). So take a look at it, but in any case either will do. I don't see any 120 used in the 3.0L engine. The manuals are found used on eBay and their are three in the set for the '92 front wheel drive.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).