Chrysler Repair/'99 LHS headlamp switch problem

I have a 1999 Chrysler LHS and having a lot of wiring issues with lights. The main lights switch acts up and sometimes the headlights will not turn off. Now driving the car the tail lights will go out along with the dash lights and gauge cluster quits working as well. Messing with the dimmer switch makes the lights come back on. Pulling the dimmer switch makes the lights come back on but they go back off if you let it go. Could this be a loose wire harness somewhere or a loose or bare wire or connection somewhere? Or could the battery be shot?

Hi Kenny,
It sounds to me like the switch is the problem. I can tell you how to remove it and then test the individual sections for continuity/intermittency using an ohm meter or continuity tester.
To remove it: disconnect the negative battery cable remote terminal from the remote terminal at the right strut tower. Remove the left end cap cover from the dash. Lower the steering column down to the lowest position. Using a soft stick gently pry off the bezel that surrounds the cluster. The remove the three screws that hold the headlamp switch in place and remove the switch. Inspect the plugs of the switch for any damages/disturbed wiring. Absent that I believe the problem is inside the switch but you can test it to find out.
I will need to photocopy and postal mail to you the continuity test table from the manual for you to test all the various positions of the switch to see if they are correct. So let me know your postal mailing address and I will do that quickly. Tell me that address in a follow-up answer. I can't make a copy from the manual and attach it to an email because I don't have a scanner to do so. But I will send it in the US mail.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).