Chrysler Repair/1990 le baron trans

will not shift to high gear, no codes, no chk eng light, local mech found no fault, do u hv any ideas?

Hi Carter,
I assume that it is in "limp-in mode" which means that it only operates in 2nd gear. There is a self-diagnostic capability for the transmission which is accessed by a blue rectangular plug under the dash that has 6 pins (3 x 2). You have to have and OBD-I diagnostic code reader to get access to the transmission controller in order to find a transmission fault code. Either the Chyrsler DRB II or a Snap-on Scanner of the early 90's will do the readout. The code numbers are two digit and range from 21 to 39 but can be confused with engine fault codes accept that those are found via the data link connector which is black and located in the engine compartment. So check whether your mechanic used the proper code reader and attached it to the blue plug under the dash located near the left side kick panel. If he connected it to a plug in the engine compartment then he wouldn't get the fault codes for the transmission. Once you get a code let me know what it is.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).