Chrysler Repair/1990 le baron trans

Question
will not shift to high gear, no codes, no chk eng light, local mech found no fault, do u hv any ideas?

Answer
Hi Carter,
I assume that it is in "limp-in mode" which means that it only operates in 2nd gear. There is a self-diagnostic capability for the transmission which is accessed by a blue rectangular plug under the dash that has 6 pins (3 x 2). You have to have and OBD-I diagnostic code reader to get access to the transmission controller in order to find a transmission fault code. Either the Chyrsler DRB II or a Snap-on Scanner of the early 90's will do the readout. The code numbers are two digit and range from 21 to 39 but can be confused with engine fault codes accept that those are found via the data link connector which is black and located in the engine compartment. So check whether your mechanic used the proper code reader and attached it to the blue plug under the dash located near the left side kick panel. If he connected it to a plug in the engine compartment then he wouldn't get the fault codes for the transmission. Once you get a code let me know what it is.
Roland.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston