Chrysler Repair/camshaft position sensor code 0340

QUESTION: i hooked my car up to computer and it is telling me camshaft position sensor circuit bank 1 sensor1 the code is p0340 what does this mean?

ANSWER: Hi Debbie,
There 0340 code typically is saying that the sensor of the rotational position of the camshaft is not producing the signal that is expected of it. There is usually only one such sensor so the "circuit bank1/sensor1" is redundant wording.
It would either cause the engine to run poorly or not run at all.
It is usually easy to replace but I need to know which engine (L) and the year/model of the vehicle to be specific as to how to do that. So let me know and we'll go from there.

QUESTION: Ok it's a 2004 Chrysler Sebring 4cylinder 2.4 l

Hi Debbie,
That sensor is mounted on the rear of the cylinder head slightly off center toward the left side of the engine. There are several steps and some details you should be aware of as you replace it, so I believe you would do well to have a couple of pages from the service manual to help do it right. If you will tell me your email address I will attach those to an email that I will send to you directly. But when you tell me the address don't use the "@" symbol, instead use "at" of the address will be erased automatically.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).