Chrysler Repair/'96 3.8L engine stalled, no spark, ECM bad?

Jay Brodsky wrote at 2015-12-15 05:25:36
Finally got my van back from the mechanic and ordered a new [reman]PCM from my parts house online, per my VIN and the number on the old PCM. Resistance on PCM pin 11 to coil-pack pin 2 was .3/.2 on 200/))) ohm scale - figured that was tolerable. Could not get steady readings on PCM pins 10 and 50. Could not verify voltage on pin 20 as battery was already removed from car.

Finally received and installed new PCM, in spite of repeated warnings in the packing material, 'Modules rarely fail on their own. Ensure root causes are repaired before installing this module!' I must say, though, there was a fair amount of corrosion on the exterior of the old PCM, which i can't imagine was doing it any good. Engine started right up, went to town and back, running as well as it ever has.

Thanks again, Roland; you get well-deserved 10's all the way around! :)

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).