Chrysler Repair/04 sebring conv blown engine swap

I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Vin R with a 2.7L V6 engine.  The timing chain snapped and shredded the engine (even though the timing chain was only 30,000 miles old).  I did a lot of research on this engine an found that it is an extremely common problem that Chrysler refuses to acknowledge is a design flaw on their part.  The car is in mint condition (other than the engine of course) and I really can't afford to buy a new car. Is there a later year (after the problem was resolved, so after 2005) that I can replace the engine with?  What else would need to be changed for it to work? Please help.  Thank you.

Hi Christel,
I think that you may want to stay with the 2.7 because the other engines used in the car (2.0 and 2.4L) use a different transmission and different engine controller. So the question is were later year 2.7L engines any better? I would go to the library and look in the either the April issues or the annual issues of Consumer Reports magazine in the years 2006-2010 where they have owners reports about the frequency of repair needs of their vehicles and see what those show for the Sebring with the 2.7L engine from one year to the next where you might see a trend one way or the other. I have not done such a check nor had any other Sebring 2.7 owner tell me about what changes if any were made after '04. The engine was used in the Sebring through 2010.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).