Chrysler Repair/'05 300 2.7L: transmission won't engage

QUESTION: I have a 2005 300 base model with the 2.5 v6, my fiance went to drive to work after I had it warming up, the transmission won't go into gear but the shift indicators are saying its going into gear. It is an automatic tranny. Could this be a shift sensor or relay? Or worse? I appreciate the advice

ANSWER: Hi Donald,
Let me check the manual and get right back. I assume that you meant a 3.5L engine in your 300.

QUESTION: I'm sorry its the 2.7 v6

Thanks for that clarification. Have you checked the fluid level on the transmission dipstick?
If the indicator lights agree with the position of the shift lever then that would not implicate the shift sensor. The relay, if not activated, would typically cause the transmission to work in only 2nd gear and reverse, not to not work at all. There could be a clogged oil filter in the transmission or some other reason for low hydraulic fluid pressure inside the unit. Those are the possible fairly simple reasons. Other than that we are dealing with some internal mechanical issues.
Try turning the ignition key: " on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see if the mileage reading changes to show any 4-digit numbers preceded by a P which would be fault codes.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).