Chrysler Repair/'96 dodge stratus: motor exchanged

Question
QUESTION: I have a 1996 dodge stratus that I did a motor swap on with a 1997 2.4L.
I have the engine running but I have multiple bugs I do not have the answer to
1. Upon start up car idled ok but the longer it runs in continues to climb I shut the car
off once It reached 2500 rpm.
2. I used the transmission from the 1996 car and when I put it in to drive, it does not engage unless the brake pedal is pressed 1/4 of the way but when brakes are fully applied wheels stop turning
so I dont now where to turn on this one does the ECM need to be reflashed? Or is this vacuum related? Im not sure?
any help will be greatly appreciated
thanx
Brandon Hoeschen

ANSWER: Hi Brandon,
Was the car originally sold with the 2.4L engine? Did you change electrical controller components, or was it just the engine, and how about any electrical sensing devices on the engine, were those traded between the two engines?
Have you checked for fault codes using the ignition key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the check engine light, which remains "on" to see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc. Count the number of flashes before each pause. Then repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. Then let me know the counts in order of appearance.
Sorry for the delay but I just found your question in the "pool".
Roland

QUESTION: Hey Roland
thanks for answering
yes both cars had the 2.4L engine,  it it was just the engine that was swapped i used the ecm from the 1996 u motor for the 1997 motor, the only electrical components I had to switch over was all 4 injectors, the throttle body and an o2 sensor socket thats it
Thanks
Brandon

Answer
Let me know about the fault code counts. And so the throttle body on it now is the original one, or from the '97?
I don't understand the issue with the transmission/brake pedal position. As far as I can tell from looking at the '96 manual there is no electrical interaction, not is an obvious issue between the braking of the wheels and functioning of the transmission. If you would explain in more detail what happens as compared to what the previous situation was I might have an idea.
The idle sounds like a small vacuum leak into the intake manifold. Possible the gasket on the throttle body? Try spray water around the edge of the manifold while idling, and check all the vacuum hoses using the diagram on the underside of the hood as a road map.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston