Chrysler Repair/'95 Cherokee: instrument cluster problems

1995 Jeep Cherokee 2.5 speedo and fuel gauges quit working at the same time. How to repair it?

Hi Denise,
I don't have any wiring diagrams for a '95 Jeep, but I would believe that either a fuse that powers those gauges has blown or the wire from the fuse to cluster is loose, most likely at the place where the plug that brings all the wires attaches to the cluster. Try tapping firmly on the top of dash to see whether that "jars" a loose wire to work again.
If not, then check the fuses in the fuse box that is under the dash to see if one is blown. However if only the cluster gauges aren't working then it may not be a fuse because the cluster usually doesn't have a unique fuse only for itself and so there should be other problems beyond the cluster if it was a fuse.
About a wire disconnection then, the most likely loose connection would be where the socket into which the plug connects at the rear of the cluster is located, the socket has an electrical pin for each of the incoming wires and those pins are soldered to the circuit board of the cluster. If you took a soldering pencil and heater each of those pins enough to briefly soften the solder then a loose connection would be 'healed'.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).