Chrysler Repair/idle issue: code 0172

I have a 2001 Grand Caravan with 3.3 l engine.  It threw po401 code, so I cleaned out the carbon from the egr tube, the egr valve was replaced 2 years ago and seemed clean.  This solved that code, and idle seemed fine till the next day, when
really rough idle and stalling once warmed up.  
Now it throws a po172 code only.  Seemed to idle fine when I started it in th morning, cold outside, at 1000 rpm, then once warmed up, rough again and idle fluctuates between 500 - 700, and stalls sometimes when starting warm after running for awhile.
I cleaned the EGR valve with throttle body cleaner, stem seems to move freely with  screwdriver pressing from the bottom.  When I turn the valve upside down, something inside rattles, like a loose coin. Checked the lower vac hose to the valve while revving the engine and can feel the vacuum. There is some movement I can see in the area where the slit exposes the diaphram.
I read that I should check the PCV valve, but didn't do that yet, since it seemed quite difficult to reach, being located on the rear intake cover.

Hi Gary,
The rattling sound from the egr is suspicious so you might want to remove it and see if you can determined what is causing that.
As to 0172 I can copy some pages from the powertrain manual and attach those to an email I would send to you directly. When you tell me your email address don't use the @ symbol instead use "at", or the address will be automatically erased from the message. There are a number of possibilities for that code.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).