Chrysler Repair/P0122 P0500 P1698

Question
Hi Roland. 02 Neon with above codes. I have replaced both speed sensors and the shift solenoid. Still won't shift out of 1st and speedometer won't work. Its a 4 speed Auto, 2.0L L4 SOHC 16V FWD ES. I don't know which wires to test, nor do I have a pin out. I don't know what or where the EATX is, and I think the TCM is on the left front near the radiator. Can you please help with this?

Answer
Hi Eric,
The ETAX is the electronic automatic transmission which is where the speed sensors you changed are located. The TCM is the transmission control module which may be located at the lower right front of the engine compartment, while the PCM is the powertrain (engine) control module and it is at the left lower front of the engine compartment. See if you can find these two modules.
The 500 and 1698 codes together suggest that the speed sensor signals are not reaching the PCM. The signals are generated by the sensors and then go to the TCM and from there to the PCM.
I have the '01 manual for the Neon but that year didn't use the ETAX, at least there is no wiring information about it, just where its control module would be located.
If you would also look on the plate in the engine compartment where there are shown letters and numbers about the vehicle, on the bottom line there are in the first three places some letters (such as DGL) which identify the exact ETAC type that you have. Let me know what you find. I can use the '02 PT Cruiser manual if indeed you find DGL to the transmission.
Roland  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston