Chrysler Repair/Stuck liftgate: '10 T & C

I have a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country with a stuck closed rear liftgate.  When I try to open the liftgate it will not open manually or electronically but makes a electronic noise.  I have checked the fuse and tried disconnecting the battery.

Hi Sam,
The liftgate is a very complicated part of the vehicle with many pages of description and troubleshooting in the repair manual. The symptom you are having has several possible reasons most of which appear to involve the need to diagnose the problem using a diagnostic readout box that plugs into a socket under the dash and then questioning the module that controls the liftgate about what it sees might be wrong. That involves getting such a higher level reader or going to someone who has it.
About the only other approach is to be sure that the other locking doors are not locked as if they are that defeats the power operation and also the manual operation. So check that out.
Another possibility is that because of cold weather the temp sensor has inhibited the liftgate operation, though that is not supposed to occur until about -20F. The temp sensor might be inaccurate however. You might try again on a warmer day.
Other than that, you can access the latch mechanism from inside the vehicle and try to operate the release mechanism by hand to see whether that will allow you to open it. I can't describe that latch but can copy a couple of pages from the '09 manual and attach those to an email that I would send to you directly. I need to know your email address to do that, but if you do be sure to not use the @ symbol but instead use "at" or the address will be automatically erased from your follow-up question.
Sorry for the delay but I just found your question in the "pool" to which it had been referred by Kevin.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).