Chrysler Repair/transmission leak

Roland ,I have a 97 sebring convertable 2.5l automatic.Problem,I sprayed degreaser and drove around slow carefull not to spray the fluid and found it's leaking between the tranny and where it mounts to motor,not from the bell housing itself but up where the two meet any idea?thanks

Hi Steve,
If either the fluid you detected or the loss that you are experiencing by observing the dipsticks seems to be trans fluid rather that engine oil, then at least you would know for sure which is leaking. Given the location of the leak about the only stop gap would be to consider whether there is any fluid you can add that will possibly swell the seal that is leaking so as to reduce the loss rate, but being certain that it is compatible with the unit that is leaking. Be certain if it is the trans that it is indicated as safe for use with MOPAR ATF +3 (Mopar 7176) and note that the manual is concerned that trans sealers may adversely affect the seals themselves. Given the cost of repairing the transmission if it is damaged by an additive, you may be prudent to just accept the loss. It is likely the main seal on the drive shaft that is leaking, be it the engine or the trans, and the only way to change that for sure is to separate the units.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).