Chrysler Repair/'02 300M: Transmission code 1776

Hi! I have a 2002 Chrysler 300M and I am having shifting issues, two codes came up which are 1776 and 700, this car is in immaculate condition with only 70,000 miles on it but it say in a garage for two years, wasn't sure what to do because I am a woman and well to be honest I don't know a lot about vehicles and some mechanics take complete advantage of that.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi Allison,
The 0700 code just says there is another specific fault code for the transmission in the memory of the transmission control module, which is of course the 1776 code.
That code is saying that one of the internal pressure switches seems to be stuck in one of two possible positions, in this case low and reverse.
First see if the fluid level in the transmission is in the proper level by removing its dipstick (located on the driver's side of the transmission) and comparing the level to the markings on the dipstick. If that seems alright:
then there are a series of steps to diagnose the situation which begins by verifying that the relay that energizes the electrical function of the transmission is working.
Then one would test that the sensor that detects the position of the switch is working properly.
Then if that is true, then one needs to partially open the transmission (dropping the cover plate on the bottom and then removing what is called the valve body and then the solenoid/pressure switch 'assembly'. Usually if the assembly has a faulty pressure switch the repair involves replacing that assembly and then putting it back together. Fortunately the transmission does not have to be removed.
So the important thing to do is to check the fluid level. Then if this problem first surfaced following the long storage period you might try driving it around town for a few says to see if it self-corrects. If not, then I would find a knowledgeable transmission repair shop that is competent to go through the diagnostic steps that I listed so as to determine what needs to be done before trying to repair it. I can copy about 4 pages from the manual that you can share with such a shop. Be sure the shop knows the details about this Chrysler 42LE transmission and has a good reputation. Avoid using a nationwide franchise shop as these generally solve the problems by installing an entire rebuilt transmission at a much greater cost then would be otherwise if the specific problem can be identified and addressed competently.
Let me know what you find by checking the level of fluid and by doing some local driving.
You would be wise toe disconnect the - post of the battery for a minute or so which will erase the code and temporarily allow the transmission to operate normally until the same problem is detected, and then it will again go into a non-shift mode where it only runs in 2nd gear and reverse. Then do the battery disconnect once again and drive some more in the hope that the switch will come unstuck with 'exercise'. If not, then find the competent shop and ask me for the diagnostic pages.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).