Chrysler Repair/'08 Grand Cherokee: power window

QUESTION: Hello Roland and thanks for your assistance in advance.  I have a 2008 GC 4.7 limited.  My passenger front window went down and now wont go up. Either from drivers side or passenger side button. It makes no noise or does not act like it wants to move like a broken regulator.  I have pulled the door apart in hopes of putting power to the motor to see if it is bad, be there are too many terminals for me to determine where to apply voltage too.  I think there were six.  I also know this has some kind of hall effect sensor, but not sure how to test that either.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

ANSWER: Hi Chris,
The circuitry for the power windows is complex, and also fortunately the body computer does monitor the functioning of it and if it recognizes a fault it will assign a 4-digit fault code {preceded by a U or a B) which then has a trouble shooting procedure specific to the code.
The first possibility is that you inadvertently did a "lock out" of the passenger window functioning by means of an option to do that which is a specific position of the passenger window control switch at the driver control panel. Do you have the owner's manual? If so, check out that possibility as the cause of the no action of the passenger window.
Then consider getting a fault code readout of the body computer to see whether there is a fault code stored in its memory. An independent shop will usually do such a readout for around $40. Let me know if you do that and get fault codes or not.
Other than that, the manual describes how to test the switch, the motor, circuit breaker, etc. and I could copy those pages and send them to you as an attachment to an email I would send to you directly along with the 6 wiring diagram pages.
I doubt I can work with you to do this without your having all these pages, and once you have them I suspect you can get to the bottom of the problem.
So I will let you decide how you want to proceed before doing any more than this initial response. If you want some of the pages let me know your email address but don't use the @ symbol, instead use "at", or the address will be erased automatically.
I would believe that the '06 manual I have is fully applicable to your '08 model.

QUESTION: Thanks Roland.....I will try your method first.  My addr is cjaveni at   

Also, is it possible to test the motor by applying voltage directly to it?

Thanks again for your assistance.

I will copy the wiring diagrams and also the pages about testing the motor, etc. and send those to you directly tomorrow. Then let me know what you learn from that approach. If that doesn't reveal the cause then the fault code readout and specific remedy for that would be the next step.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).