Chrysler Repair/chrysler sebring LX1 cruise control

Question
QUESTION: when i push ON, the cruise light comes on on the instrument panel, when i push SET, the cruise will not set. eventually the CRUISE light on the dash will turn off and will not come on again until the car is turned off and back on. I replaced the on/off/set switch and the cruise worked for about 3 weeks and then quit. The CRUISE light still comes on, but goes off again shortly after i push the SET. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Let me finish dinner and get right back. In the meantime, can you tell me the year and whether this is a sedan/convert, or a coupe.

QUESTION: This is  2003 chrysler sebring convertable LX1, 2.7 engine. Sorry about not telling you everything you needed to know.

Answer
Hi Charles,
First check fuse 7 in the box behind the left end cap of the dash. Then check to see if your brake lamps might be on even though you are not stepping on the pedal.
If those are alright, then I would begin by checking through the vacuum hoses that power this system. One hose is attached to the power brake master vacuum chamber and goes to the speed control servo nearby. Then there is also a hose at the servo that goes to a vacuum reservoir located under the left headlamp and a similar hose that returns from the reservoir to the servo mechanism. A leak along any of those hoses or fittings would also prevent the operation of the cruise control. There are three fault codes related to the system which might shed some light on another specific problem internal to the servo itself so try to get a fault code readout for free at some nationwide autoparts stores or for under $40 at an independent shop.
Those steps are likely to reveal the cause for this non-function of the cruise control system.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston