Chrysler Repair/Noise in Chrysler Crossfire engine

I recently purchased a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire. It had a ticking sound (not unlike a valve lifter). The price was right so I bought it knowing about what it would cost me to repair it. I took it to the Chrysler dealer and they said it was a rocker arm problem. Ten days and $3,400.00 later I picked up the car. The ticking sound is still there so back to the dealer who said “Oh, this ticking sound is normal for Mercedes engines in this car.”  Obviously I was scammed by the dealer. They of course refuse to do anything about it. But I still want to get rid of the ticking sound.  They said the air pumps make a ticking sound and that it is normal. I am unable to determine where in the engine the sound is coming from.  The car seems to be running okay. Two questions:
Can you tell me what the ticking noise could be?
Also, a Company called GFORCE, makes a performance chip. Will the installation of the chip harm the engine?  
Thank you

Hi Don,
I have the '05 Crossfire service manual and it gives several possible causes for valve noise. What was the service that you requested from the dealers/what was replaced?
You might go to a Mercedes dealer shop and ask them to listen and tell you what they think it might be. I can't tell you from a distance. But if they agree it is from the valve train and we find that the Chrysler dealer didn't do one of the several possible causes for the noise, then I would believe you could go back and tell them what they should have/could  have done and ask them to do that now for no cost. Small claims court would be the last resort.
I can give you the pages that speak about various noise causes if you tell me your email address so I can send them to you directly. But don't use the @ symbol, instead use "at" or the address will be erased.
I have no idea what a GFORCE Chip will do but again ask at a Mercedes dealership.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).