Chrysler Repair/speedometer unsteady: '02 Sebring

I have a 2002 Sebring 2.7 liter. The speedometer bounces all over the place when driving. I changed the speed sensor. what els should i check.

Thanks Jim

Hi Jim.
I assume this is a sedan or convertible, not a coupe, and that you changed the output speed sensor whose signal drives the speedometer. If so, then possibly the wiring of the sensor plug to the transmission control module may be flaky. Try verifying the continuity of the light green/white wire to pin 14 of the TCM and the dark blue/black wire to pin 13 of the TCM.
Move the harness gently while doing the measurement. The signal is digitized at the TCM and sent to the BCM with other similar data so if only the speedo is flaky I would suspect the sensor wiring or the speedometer head itself. An outside possibility is a gear damage internal to the transmission, so you could monitor the output of the sensor proper (while unplugged) just to verify that is not the cause.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).